Saturday, June 1, 2013

Nest: A Review

Let me start off by stating that this is not a paid advertisement/post. These are personal opinions about Nest. :)

I've actually had a few people ask how I like our Nest, so a blog post sounded like a good idea!

Josh surprised me with a Nest one day after I had commented that it would be nice to be able to control our thermostat from our phones. Lazy? Yes.

As far as I know, you can only purchase it from Lowes...but don't quote me on that. 


Basically, it just replaces your current thermostat. It took him about an hour to re-wire everything and let me tell you, it has been a dream come true! :) Also, it's much cuter than a normal thermostat...

From your wall unit, you just turn the dial to adjust temperatures and settings. You can set it to be on certain temperatures at certain times, and it has a HOME and AWAY setting, which is helpful with energy conservation during your summer vacations. ;)

Oh, but the best thing?? It learns all of the settings that you like, so after a few days, it'll start adjusting the temp to what YOU like when YOU want it. So, we like the house to be very cool at night so we sleep like babies. Not newborn babies...maybe babies who have been dosed up with Dimetapp. Well, after a few days of having Nest, it already knew we liked that, so around 10pm, it would automatically switch to 69°. Yeah, we like it at 69....moving on! :)

Here's what the app looks like on my phone: 

Oh, I guess I should point out that, since we've added on to the house, we've also added another Nest for the new part. We have them labeled...eventually, they'll communicate with each other like little robots. :)



 A view of the AWAY setting:


I really love that we can control the temps from our phones because on really hot days (like today!!), we can set it when we leave work, and the house is nice and cool when we arrive!

Oh, technology.



2 comments:

  1. That's awesome! I want to get one! I wish I could have my whole house automated from my phone!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jenny, that's Josh's plan...he's actually already run wires through the whole house for music/lights, etc. :)

      Delete