Saturday, June 8, 2013

On Baptism....

Some of you may or may not know this, but even though I've been a Christian for about 14 years, I've never been baptized. This is weird, even to myself, because I grew up in a Baptist church, my dad's dad was a Baptist preacher, and I have tons of family members very involved in their churches, music ministers, preachers, etc. It's always been something on my life to-do list though.

Let me rewind....

{insert random photo of family in Sunday dress}
 I grew up going to the Baptist church where my dad's family had always gone. I remember going every Sunday to Sunday school, service, Sunday evening services, and any children's activity going on. Then, when I was in the 6th grade, I met a girl named Emily. Her dad was the preacher at First Baptist Church. We became friends and I started going to church with her. She quickly became one of my best friends, too. I became very involved in the youth group there, and it was probably around this time that I fully understood what being a Christian meant. Most people have a clear memory of the exact moment they gave their life to God. I don't. I have a horrible memory of everything. I don't remember a lot of important things. Not because they're not important, but just because my memory doesn't allow me to remember it.

So, I went to church events, youth retreats, missions trips, etc.. I felt like I had a strong connection with God. Of course, like most teenagers, I did go through a rough patch during high school. Then, I moved to another city where I was in "one of those" relationships. You know the one.... The one you think is "The One", but you're really just smoking crack and settling. He wasn't a very good leader, the kind God wants us to have in a partner. I should've known. Well, needless to say, I didn't attend church during that time, but I was still strong in my faith. 

Fast forward a few years, I move back to Cleveland. I wasn't too interested in going to a church here in town. Then, I started dating Josh, and on one of our first few dates, we went to a Hillsong United concert at Fellowship of The Woodlands. We started going to church together (he and his family already went there). He WAS the kind of husband God wanted me to have. (Subliminal message: Don't settle because you THINK you've found The One...keep searching. God will lead you to the person you're meant to be with...promise!)

He even proposed to me at the fountain at church!



Recently, we went to a church service and the topic was baptism. It was interesting because, just the week before, my mom had mentioned that I was never baptized and that I should do it. It was also something that I had been thinking about, too! So, I knew that this was the right time. This weekend just so happens to be the annual Super Summer Baptism event. Last year, they did over 1200 or something baptisms! Isn't that awesome?!

I've noticed that, as an adult, it's a little weird to get baptized after being a Christian for so long. I have to explain why I waited so long. Firstly, as a teenager, I feel that it was a little intimidating to walk in front of a whole congregation to announce your faith. I didn't like to be the center of attention, willingly, so that just never appealed to me. Now, I realize that's WHY you get baptized...to show the world that you're a follower. Also, I never felt super committed to a church. I loved growing up at First Baptist, but I knew that I wouldn't go there forever. Josh and I are still actually looking for a forever church. We feel that Fellowship is a little far of a drive. I love the idea of our kids being involved in lots of church activities, so we'd like to find something closer, but this church is where our marriage foundation was built. We've learned so much together since we started going there as a couple, so it feels right.

I have to admit that I don't feel like this act will make me feel any more of a Christian. My daily walk with God and the relationship I have with Him are what make me stronger. Yes, I do want the world to know, but the act of baptism is just something we're meant to do, an act of obedience. Something that He wants us to do. So I'm doing it tonight. I'm a little nervous. Again, I don't like the attention on me. But, I'm also very excited about finally doing this. Thank you for letting me share my story. :)

Now, tell me something about yourself so I don't feel so awkward! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment