Wednesday, January 16, 2013

King Ranch Chicken

Oh, sweet baby Jesus. If there was ever a meal that I could eat every day, it would be this one.

I love King Ranch Chicken...so much that I call the Brookshire Bros. deli almost daily to see if they have it for lunch. Of course, after I've made it myself, I believe that's the only way I'll eat it anymore. It's sooooo good!!

I googled recipes and found this one. There were a few that included too many ingredients, which equals more time than I have at the end of the work day, and you know I love an easy recipe.


Here's what I did:

I used 2 large boneless skinless chicken breasts. I always wash the meat before I start seasoning it. I don't know what it is, but chicken, or even pork, definitely steak, always feels slimy...I like to just rinse it off with cold water before starting. I also cut off any fat pieces. Then I sprayed them with spray butter (so easy!), seasoned them with salt and pepper, and baked them in a glass dish for about 30 minutes. I never know exactly how long it'll take for them to be done so I just keep checking them. This time was perfect! They were so juicy and yummy. 

When they were almost ready, I started the mixing of the ingredients! I omitted the green pepper (we don't really care for the little bits in our food), and I should've omitted the onion for the same reason. It got in the way of yummy goodness.  Mix the butter, soups, and Rotel together (don't drain...I think it's better with all of the juices). Shred the chicken and add it to the soup...let it cook for just a couple minutes while you tear some small corn tortilla triangles.

Then, you're just going to "lasagna" it. Yes, "lasagna" as a verb. Layer the tortilla pieces, chicken/soup mixture, and cheese (oh, pile it on!), and bake for about 25 minutes or until the cheese on top is bubbly and a little brown (I like the cheese crust to be very toasty). Then you just put about 17 heaping spoonfuls on your plate and go to town! :) It's even better the next day...believe me!

 
Hope you enjoy this recipe! 


No comments:

Post a Comment