Saturday, January 19, 2013

Easy Weeknight Dinners

It's so funny that I have people texting me or messaging me asking, What's for dinner? I never posted these simple recipes with the thought that people would actually make them! Ha! 

A few dinners that I make regularly, that are super easy, are chicken and rice, lasagna, spaghetti, tilapia, pan-seared chicken, and tacos. These are obviously nothing fancy...no fancy names or fancy ingredients, but maybe if you're feeling stuck on what to cook for dinner, you can try one of these! Also, this is just how I do it, so it's probably the simplest way. If you want something fancypants, visit The Pioneer Woman or another yummy website.

Chicken and Rice

a few large boneless skinless chicken breasts (washed and cut into 2" chunks)
a large can of cream of chicken soup
rice
hawaiian rolls (because seriously, it doesn't get better than that)

First, put your rice in your rice cooker. If you time it right, your rice and chicken will probably be done at the same time! Then, cook the chicken in a skillet over medium heat with about a tablespoon of EVOO (or any olive oil that is not canola or vegetable) with salt&pepper. Once the chicken is done, add the cream of chicken soup (if you buy the large can, you may not have to use it all...it just depends on how much soup you want in it). Let that simmer for a little bit. Then, pile it on your plate with a roll or two (for "sopping up of the soups"). Easy and filling!

Lasagna and Spaghetti

Ok, these are very simple...if you don't know how to make either of these, please message me so I can tell you. Also, I want to point out that I have NEVER once in my life purchased a frozen lasagna. I always make mine...I sweat over the stove while I layer the lasagna, meat sauce, and cheese. 

Also, my spaghetti sauce is always the same...ground beef with Hunts sauce (Spaghetti sauce is all the same to me...it's tomatoes and other things, but I would much rather spend $1 on Hunts than $3-$4 on something that's the same!). I also don't like Ragu...my mom used to use Ragu and I just didn't like the chunky tomatoes in it. Blech. I use regular lasagna noodles, not the pre-cooked or whatever kind. And I use a mixture of a few different shredded cheeses. 

Tilapia

Tilapia is super easy to me because you can buy it frozen in little individual packs. All you have to do is run it under some cool water for a few seconds and it's ready!

I wash the Tilapia filets and dry them with a paper towel. Then I rub them with a little olive oil, sprinkle a mixture of seasonings on them (I have a shaker that I use that's premixed by McCormick's, I believe..it has all the spices I ever need. I'll post it here soon.). Sear them in a skillet with another spritz of olive oil for about 3-4 minutes each side. It'll be a little brown and flaky when it's done. Serve with a baked potato, steamed broccoli, and a lemon (for the squeezing) and it's all good! That's a dinner that takes less than 15 minutes, start to finish.

Pan-Seared Chicken

Same thing as the Tilapia, but with chicken (you can actually cut these pieces a little larger). The quickest way to cook chicken, IMO, is to make it thin enough so it'll cook evenly and not too thick that it won't cook too much on the outside and not enough on the inside. Sear in skillet until done. Serve with anything from macaroni and cheese to pasta to whatever! Also, sometimes I make this chicken then add Hunt's spaghetti sauce and serve with whatever pasta noodles are in the pantry. Serve with Texas Toast...because it's delicious.

Tacos

Ground Beef
McCormick's taco seasoning
tortillas

Make as directed on seasoning packet. Ha! How easy! :)

I'll add some more recipes next week once I remember what I cook. I know I have more dinners in my head...I just cook ^^these so much!

No comments:

Post a Comment