Wednesday, November 21, 2012

The French do it right.

The day before Thanksgiving....is everyone ready??

I'm still on this *new food* kick and want to cook everything I've never made. Today, it's French Onion soup. Ok, it's nothing fancy, but I know I like easy recipes, so I'm sure someone else reading this blog (hello? anyone there?) might like it, too.

What you need:

3 tbsp butter
Umm, onions, duh. (about 3-4 small/medium, depending on how many people..probably 1 onion per person)
2 cans beef broth
french bread or croutons (extra cool points for cheese croutons!)
gruyere cheese  


Brown yo butta. I did all of this in a large pot. Throw in slivers of onions. 
Brown those, but not too brown. 


Then, pour the broth in and bring it all to a boil. Simmer for about 20 minutes.

I was looking to do a simple recipe because (a) I don't always have a lot of time to cook, and (b) because I was STARVING this day. So, what I did was put a handful of croutons on a cookie sheet, warm the oven to 350 degrees, sprinkle on some parmesan cheese, and place a slice of provolone on top. I went to our little town's grocery store and they didn't have Gruyere, so I substituted provolone. Also, it's round so it's perfect to fit in a bowl. :) 


I ovened (that should be a word!) that for about 5 minutes til the cheese was melted and yummy. Then I got a few ladles of soup in my bowl and just slid the whole crouton concoction onto the top. It was glorious.


I ate mine with a grilled cheese sandwich (give me more bread and cheese!!). The flavor was great and this recipe was a keeper!!

Let me know if you try it!

Also, I'd like to point out that I've never been a huge onion soup fan, but one time, my Nicaraguan friend (she was American at the time), Carrie, made a delicious onion soup. That's when I started loving it. Then, on our honeymoon, we ate at this little cafe on the beach and I had some there. It was divine. The end.

1 comment:

  1. hahaha...I LOVE this too. Another thing we can't do here...no beef broth. I do love looking at the pics though. I'm so coming back for your cooking.

    ReplyDelete