Tuesday, November 20, 2012

Beef Chunk, Roasted.

The title is *kinda* like "Tin Roof, Rusted!"....right??? Right.

I guess marriage makes me more domesticated...like, all I wanna do is cook! Yesterday, I made pot roast for the first time. It all started when my mom and I were at HEB and they were on sale. For $5! Ok, maybe not exactly, but it was close.

Here's what went down: (sorry, no pics...whoopsie!)

What's needed:
3.5 lb. pot roast
spices
crock pot
beef broth
onion (that accidentally got in my mom's grocery bag, so it actually missed out on all the action)


I started before I left for work that morning. I washed the big chunk of meat, then I seasoned it with my favorite seasonings and lightly floured it. (This is the part where you would throw some chopped onion slivers in a skillet with some EVOO). Then, put that big chunk in the skillet and brown both sides for a few minutes each. (You want the flavor to start sizzling in it before it hits the crock pot). Add it to the crock pot with the onions, throw in 1/2 of beef broth...I added about 1/2 cup of water, too, for good measure, and set it to the 10-hour setting. I would cook for about 8-9 hours, depending on your crock pot. I was so afraid of the meat drying out OR it catching the whole house on fire, then I remembered that millions of people a day use their crock pots and leave them at home to cook delicious meals while they're at work, so I felt better. Even though, I did go home at around 3:30 (this would be about 6 hours of cooking at this point) and check on it. It was doing perfectly fine just cooking away. I then had to run out to do a shoot then came back at about 6:30. It was DELICIOUS at that time....it probably could've stopped crocking (potting?) at about 5 or 5:30, but it was still GOOD! We joined it with some baked potatoes, green beans, and a salad. I will definitely make it again now that I know it won't burn the house down. 

Let me know if you have any pot roast ideas or if you decide to try this yourself!

4 comments:

  1. I cook in my crock pot all the time! you can make anything in there. My favorite is pulled pork for bbq sandwiches. I also love to add potatoes & carrots to my pot roasts.. congrats on your marriage!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you!! I will definitely try pulled pork!

      Delete
  2. To Die for Crockpot Roast

    Roast
    1 pkg. Italian Dressing Mix (salad dressing dry)
    1 pgk. Hidden Vally Ranch Mix
    1 pkg. Brown Gravy Mix
    1/2 cup water

    Brown roast and toss in the crockpot with desired veggies. Mix all dry ingredients together and pour over roast. Add water and cook on low for 8 hours.

    This was a go to for me in the States...quick, simple, cheap (when roast is on sale:), loaded with flavor. My sides are ALWAYS smashed taters and carrots.

    Smashed Taters

    Desired amount of potatoes boiled with an onion and smashed. Immediately after smashing add butter (2Tbs.), sour cream, cheddar cheese, chives...and bacon bits if you like them (I use real bacon...but not when I have roast on the table)

    I miss roast...eat another one for me...I LOVE to cook and love that you are loving to cook.

    ReplyDelete